Thursday, August 25, 2011

Rescued By A Man With Down Syndrome

The article I read and wrote about the other day concerning the Danish attempt for a "perfect" society, has really affected me.  The pragmatic attempt to rid society of the so-called burden of down syndrome must be identified as nothing other than wickedly evil.

The wickedness of the philosophy, I am sure, was communicated with polite, and politically correct language.  But the message must not be lost.  There is nothing new under the sun.  If people inconvenience us in any way, or cost us money, they should die.  We have the right to not be bothered with having to care for other individuals.

But as I wrote in my post, this goal will implode upon itself and turn the moral table up-side-down.

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday to get some groceries for an event that we were holding in the community.  I didn't get a buggy.  I didn't think I needed one.  While I was on my way to get my items I passed by a man with down syndrome.  The article about the Danes immediately refreshed in my mind.  I kept walking.

As I piled the groceries up and tried to configure them under each arm, it was obvious that a cart would be a good idea.  But I attempted to make it to the checkout counter anyway.  About fifty paces later, the pack of cookies began to fall off of the top of my stack. So I shifted.  Then the pack of drinks started to slip from underneath my other arm.  It was becoming obvious that I wasn't going to make it.  One mother and daughter passed by and giggled.  Others simply walked by while everything was coming undone.

Then I felt the box of chips in my hand become lighter.  I also noticed the pack of drinks was being taken from underneath my arm.  As I looked to my side, I was blindsided.  The man with down syndrome noticed my struggle and immediately came to help me.  He walked with me to my destination.  Then he shook my hand, smiled, and went back to shopping with his mother.

If there is anything that resembles perfection in society, that was it.  As the "perfect" people walked by, it was the "imperfect" one who rescued me.


No comments:

Post a Comment