Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Friendships May End, But Not Forever

It's not an uncommon occurrence or the Apostle Paul to tell his friends that he hopes to see them soon (cf. 1 Tim 3:14).  Those he once murdered (Acts 7-8), he now dies for.  Being either imprisoned or on mission, the Apostle is constantly expressing his earnest desire for fellowship.  He just wants his friends to be around.

The more I think about this, the more I am made aware of how I long for the same.  I want to be with loved ones without having to worry about them leaving.  But it never fails does it?  It seems that the enjoyment is always frustrated by separation.  They may be with us now, but the clock is ticking.  Geography will soon be placed in between us.  Death will soon take one of us away.

I don't know my family like I once did.  The miles that separate us have taken their tole.  Remembering my childhood has become both a source of great joy and great sorrow.  I want that closeness back; but reaching back to get it is impossible.  I eagerly look forward to holidays, but at the same time, I dread their end.

I am also frequently frustrated that my time at seminary was so short.  Some of the friendships I built there are more valuable to me than any other.  I remember the classrooms and study sessions.  I remember the town homes and children.  I remember being rescued from sin.  And I remember laughing till it hurt.  I will never be the same.  I will always long to be in their company.  In a very real way, it hurts to live in another state.

It shouldn't have to be this way.  Something is terribly wrong.  Even the greatest parts of life are under inevitable attack.  All good things must end.  There's just no getting around it.  Some of my best friends will probably always live in another state.  I will more than likely attend my mother and father's funeral.  My children will probably attend, with great sorrow, mine.  These are the realities that we live with.

Our world has fallen from glory.  And no amount of material possessions can fill the emptiness that fallenness brings.  We need redemption.  We must have hope.

At the end of the Apostle Paul's life he wrote, "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing" (2 Tim 4:7-8).

One Day I will be with my brothers and sisters in Christ forever. As I get older, time goes faster.  This is God's grace to me.  I know the end draws near.  Therefore, I can endure.  In glory, the redeemed laughter will never have to end, the glorified joy will be ever-flowing, geography will be easily overcome, and sin will frustrate us no more.

This, Christian, is our hope - the "inheritance of the saints in light" (Col 1:12).  The more I long to be with my friends and family here, the more I long to be with them forever, in glory.  This is Good News.

No comments:

Post a Comment