Friday, June 24, 2011

Why Theologize?

I remember it very well.  It was my first month or so at seminary and I had just come home from this small group that regularly met to "talk theology."  I was a newbie for sure and grew quickly and frustratingly aware of the world of abstract theology as it whizzed by my ears.

Now, after seminary, and with a bit of history under my belt, I would, without too much reservation, place the discussion I observed that night in the category of modern scholasticism - or for short, discussion about God that leaves common people in the intellectual dust.

While I do not exempt myself from engaging in these types of discussions, I do try to avoid them.  My years in the mortgage industry before seminary sobered up some of the theological snobbery within me.  And my limited years in the ministry since seminary have served to do the same.  Most people do not ultimately care about truth that exists outside of their own common experience.

And rightly so.  Common experience is precisely where Christ shines.  But, if our theology stays outside the realm of practicality, so will our existential engagement.  In short, we may know theology, but we will be wholly ignorant of people.

One may rejoice in that they know the doctrine of total depravity.  But to stare total depravity square in the face, in flesh and bones, is no occasion for rejoicing whatsoever. We are immediately faced with the sobering necessity of wrenching our theology into practicality.

So why theologize at all?  I picked up John Frame's book The Doctrine of God again today.  Within the first fifteen pages he states so profoundly: "The very nature of theology is to take the language of Scripture and put it into other language, so that we can better understand the BIble and apply it to issues not explicitly mentioned there." And this he said echoing Calvin, "[the purpose of theology is] to show the applicability of the great doctrines to everyday life."

We should all hear these words with a sincere intent to apply their force.  God speaks.  And we must represent His Word faithfully and purposefully - that is, to get people to heaven.  Is there room and occasion for scholastic work?  Absolutely.  But the work must make it to the dying man, to feed his dying body, as he lives in a dying world, so that he may live, practically feeling the weight of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

High talk (about God or whoever) that is not brought low is not theology at all, but idolatry.  We theologize to show the "whosoevers" of our world the acceptance and satisfaction that is in Jesus Christ alone.

Love for neighbor has the ability to digest the intricacies of the Trinity into milk fit for babes.


No comments:

Post a Comment