Friday, February 18, 2011

On The Birth Control Pill

I did not address the birth control pill directly yesterday for a specific purpose.  The issue is too large to address objectively in a blog post.  It is also very touchy. Therefore, as a pastor, I must be careful not to use an axe when a scalpel is needed.

I have decided to address the issue now because I received emails and comments that were directed toward the pill specifically.  When I talk about birth control, this is typically what happens.  I was not surprised.  I do want you to know that I will write this post from a more subjective perspective rather than an objective one.  In other words, my purpose at this time, is only to give reasons why my wife and I do not use the pill.

First, we do not use the pill because there is nothing broken that we need to fix by taking medication.  When people object to our perspective, they will often draw a false analogy by asking if we take a pill for a headache or some other sickness. I usually respond by saying, yes, I take medication when something is not working properly.  In our case, Katie's "reproductive cycle" is working just fine.  I am more hesitant to take medication when it causes something to work improperly.  We decided initially to ditch the pill because it made all sorts of things go wrong.

I understand that, for many, the pill makes some things work properly.  However, for reasons stated below, I would highly caution a purely pragmatic approach.  In this case, the end does not always justify the means.

Second, we do not feel that we have the "right" to tell God, who is Lord (even of the womb), "No, we will not have children."  We feel that it is our duty to be open to having children.  The pill, in our estimation, deadbolts a door that should at least remain unlocked.  Because of this, the pill also flirts with presumption in the having-children-arena.  And presumption is less than a humble posture toward our Sovereign King.

Third, we have not found any personal account in Scripture that was decisively against having children.  Stated positively, it seems that every woman represented in Scripture in this way longed to have children; and if she could not, she considered herself cursed.  This is at least something to consider.

Fourth, in researching many pharmacology reports, we have yet to find a pill that was not intended to be an abortifacient.  It is our conviction that life begins at conception.  We do not want to provide a hostile environment for this child.  Simply put, we are not willing to actively risk an abortion.

Finally, we found that natural family planning is a better method for us.  There are many reasons for this, the primary being we both are involved in our family planning.  I have also found that it keeps me from objectifying my wife for purely sexual purposes.  Not to mention it is just as effective as the pill.

In summary,this is an issue that demands more than simply a doctor's recommendation.  It certainly demands more than a passive acceptance of a cultural norm.  Christians need to know why they either take or do not take the pill.  I would argue even further that Christians need to know why they either have or do not have children.  Simply put, we must pioneer these waters rather than follow the secular trends.

For an exhaustive perspective on the pill and how it relates to abortions I highly recommend Randy Alcorn's book Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions?  This is a very cheap and helpful resource.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you are stating that birth control pills cause abortions? The pill makes a woman not ovulate, therefore there is no egg to be fertilized, therefore no conception. It does not create a hostile environment in the womb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste,

    Yes, preventing ovulation is one of the three main purposes of the pill. If you read the pharmacology reports, one of the other active purposes of the pill is to create a hostile environment for a fertilized egg - should an egg become fertilized.

    There is no evidence to support that the pill is 100% effective in preventing ovulation. As a matter of fact, there is evidence of the contrary.

    Whether or not an egg is fertilized and then aborted is one thing; but to have the intended purpose of promoting an abortive environment provokes ethical engagement.

    Thank you for commenting Celeste. I appreciate your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tackling such a difficult/controversial topic, Scott. I applaud your courage.

    Interesting fact to consider: The Catholic Church always has/continues to hold a firm position explicitly condemning artificial birth control, but this is not merely a "Catholic issue". Every Protestant denomination--every single one--held the exact same belief until 1930. So this capitulation to modern society/culture is a recent invention in the grand scheme of Christian history (not even a century old), which should raise numerous red flags to any Christian who's aware of this fact.

    One more thing: I just downloaded Alcorn's book, and I can't wait to read it. I also have another book recommendation for anyone interested. It's Patrick Coffin's "Sex au Naturel: What It Is and Why It's Good for Your Marriage".

    A son of the Father & a father to my son by the grace of God,

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Maybe you would be willing to speak objectivly. Ie. The pill is a sin because...
    2) Deadbolt the soverignity of God? really?
    3) The closes thing Scripture has to "Natural family Plannning" in Scriptures...i Gen. 38. Onan...that doesnt really apply. Do you have a biblical mandated "right" to plan naturally, as apposed to medically?
    4) What about other forms of B.C. that have no abortive risk? sinful? not or less sinful?
    5)I would like to see objective truth from God's Word
    I say this in love friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Focus on the Family commissioned a study on OCP's. My thinking is this would be a group generally opposed to OCP's but after 2 years they decided they could neither recommend or oppose OCP's as they could find no actual evidence of their abortifacient properties. There was another study by a conservative Christian group that I can't remember the details of off the top of my head that found essentially the same thing.
    If choosing when to conceive, or not, is opposing God's sovereignty and NFP is as effective as OCP's I fail to see how NFP is less "sinful" then other methods of Birth Control.
    It would seem to me that having having intercourse whenever you and your lawfully wedded spouse want to and joyfully accepting the children that are conceived, not denying one another except possibly for a short time for prayer and so forth by mutual agreement, is the only clearly logical alternative to using the birth control method of your choice including but not limited to NFP or OCP's.
    But NFP would impose denying one another not for prayer but for the express purpose of not conceiving a child. Paul expressly forbids denying one another. BTW a woman's ovulatory period is when she is most receptive to sex i.e. when denying her might tempt her. 1 Cor 7:1-7.
    Also, can you cite something for NFP is just as effective as OCP's?

    ReplyDelete
  6. James.
    1. Given the medical references, citations and conclusions from Alcorn's work; and the actual pharmacology reports that katie and I have read, I am more inclined to hold to my position rather than leave it due to, what seems to be, a neutral position by FOF.

    2. I purposefully did not go very far into our NFP practices for many reasons. The primary one being that many do not understand what NFP entails. It is so much more than "choosing when to conceive or not" or even "preventing" conception. I also don't think I said opposing God's sovereignty, but rather, something to the effect of being presumptuous - something I try to avoid; but often fail.

    3. I do believe that self-control in the sexual dept is needed in marriage. For me, NFP helps that. In doing so, we have not "denied" each other any time that I can remember. We mutually agree to abstain.

    4. I will get the reference for you - I think I have them in my office.

    Further, I refrained from getting to deep into NFP b/c comparing NFP and OCP's is not comparing apples to apples. They are not the same - and we certainly practice NFP for more reasons than what the Pill is used for.

    sorry for not being too clear - my language gets sloppy at night. I do appreciate your comment man, as I always do (even when we disagree). i think that's why we get along so well - even when I disagree with you, you remain a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous.
    1. If you would like to hear my objective opinion, I'd be happy to email you my paper on birth control. I believe objectivity, with this means of communication, would not allow me to be as tactful and caring as I'd like. In other words, my objections to the pill bring strong implications - implications that require more than an objective opinion on the pill.

    2. God is sovereign; and nothing can prevent Him from bringing about His decreed will. I am reformed. I believe this :) However, I do believe that we can act as if He is not. Telling Him "No" in an area where He expressly is in control is LIKE deadbolting a door (I do, however, believe He can break down the door).

    3. On planning medically rather than "naturally" - no, I have no clear/objective Scriptural references. I have deduced my conclusions from Scripture, and, what I believe to be our sanctified wisdom.

    4. On other means that do not risk abortion, I am not inclined to make that call for others. This is not a cop-out. We have concluded that it is safest to trust God's sovereignty while employing a humble level of responsibility. There are methods that clearly tell God "No." while there are others that seem like God is acting regardless of His people. I'm sorry if this is not clear. Email me if you need me to clarify more.

    5. I too would like to see a verse, or three, that specifically told us how many kids we should try to have. Or, if prevention was ok (or not).

    6. I appreciate you saying that your comment was in love. I trust you will accept mine in love as well. Peace to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to draw together numbers 1 and 4. I am sympathetic to your argument that Christians should not use the pill. In fact I agree. That is completely different than the argument that the "God ordained method of birth control" is natural family planning.
    If the pill has an abortive risk Christians should boycott it.
    If your arguing that God wants Christians, when their trying not to have to kids, to use natural family planning I don't think you have a scriptural leg to stand on. This presupposes that your already trying not to have kids, whats wrong with using a more effective, method that has no abortive risk?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So when are you & Katie going to teach a class? I fully uphold your views & have had the same convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Charlene for your comment. We appreciate you guys!

    ReplyDelete