Monday, January 17, 2011

Pajamas, Parenting and Sanctification

Okay, so this is not the normal post, but I thought I'd share one of the most frustrating things in parenting.  When I get to heaven, I'm going to ask God why in the world He gave babies certain reflexes.  To you who are parents, you know exactly what I'm talking about...

How about the reflex that tells the baby, "Hey!  Baby!  When your daddy is trying to put your arm in the arm hole of your pajamas...Yeah...at that moment, try and put your hand in your mouth.  That'll make Daddy really excited about your development!

Then show him how strong you really are!  Flex really hard so that when he pulls your arm away from your mouth, your whole body comes off of the changing table!  He might look a bit frustrated, but he's really not.  Keep doing it.  He'll love you more as you show him how you can do it with the other hand as well!"

And what about the other reflex (or whatever it is) that tells the baby, "Hey!  Baby!  When your daddy is trying to button those hundreds of buttons on the legs of your pajamas...Yeah...Kick as fast as you can - back and forth, back and forth...really fast.  Show him how you are gonna be a soccer player when you get older.  He will love that!

Then slow down until he gets the last button almost snapped...wait...wait...he's almost got it...NOW!  Kick, kick, kick, kick baby kick!  Yeah!  Good job!  See how happy daddy is!  Look at his face - that frustrated look is no frustration at all.  He is really saying to kick some more!

Okay - that was my vent.  Out!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah. I feel you, brother. Not to mention the arch-the-back-roll-out-of-the-diaper move. How can a baby be that strong?? -Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that snap button pj's were Satan's idea. Zipper front pj's are straight from heaven.
    Thatcher has broken 2 of my necklaces kicking his feet up and down while I tried to get him dressed.
    Then I would have to dress him AND fish necklace beads out of his mouth. Little kracker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. shawn - hilarious! that move usually results in some poo on the finger or hand - or even the babies heal, which is then spread as he/she kicks about!

    annie - the zipper jammies are def from heaven! whereas button ones, i agree, are a product of the seed of the serpent!

    you guys are crackin' me up!

    ReplyDelete