Wednesday, August 11, 2010

No Thanks God. I'd Rather Stay Here.

I am not one to write polemically about things.  I believe that the differences Christians have with one another should give us an occasion to weep more than to write.  That is not to say we shouldn't write about truth and confront error.  It is to say that if we haven't wept over the error, maybe we are writing for the wrong reasons.

I say all of this to say that I am deeply troubled over the current climate of the American church.  Most of us are.  When the most famous preacher in our country publishes a book titled "Your Best Life Now," and when that book makes the NY Times Best Seller List, it is definitely a time to weep and write.

That book is history.  And it is not my aim now to confront it head on.  But it is my intent to bring to our attention a passage that ripped my heart out this morning.  It was Numbers 32.

In this passage, Israel is on the plains of Moab, about to enter the Promised Land.  The the people of Reuben and Gad approach Moses and tell him that they desire to stay in the land of Jazer and Gilead.  They do not want to go across the Jordan, into the land that the Lord promised!

Were they afraid of the Canaanites?  No.  They were willing to fight for the people of Israel across the Jordan so that the tribes of Israel could take their inheritance.  Reuben and Gad, however, simply desired their present land more than the Promised Land.  Amazing!

But then I began to think about it.  How often do we think about the Promised Land?  I hardly do.  And there are many, (myself included) who love this present land very much - so much that they are scared to die for fear of loosing its luxuries.  In short, we are very content with having Our Best Life Now, and we want to stay here.

The saying is true - there is nothing new under the sun.  God's people have always been tempted to be content with life now and have therefore given little consideration to the life of glory in the land of promise.  Consequently, we have shown that what our God has for us is nothing better than a mere wilderness.  We communicate to all around us that our treasures now are not worth sacrificing in order to accumulate treasures in heaven (Num 32:6ff).

Here is your encouragement Christian.  Glory is something to hope for.  Earthly treasures are nothing compared to heavenly treasures!  Earthly treasures satisfy for a time then leave us.  Heavenly treasures are ours forever and ever.  And in Christ, we have the down payment of this inheritance.  We will be with the saints, in light, for ages upon ages.  We will see and savor Christ forever!

Christian, love this truth.  Hope in this!  And trade your rags now for riches.  Show yourselves and others that there is Someone who is worthy of losing it all.  Show them that you are free.

I will end with a quote from Bonhoeffer - "The poverty of the church is the proof of its freedom."  Are you free?  Or have you told God "No thanks.  I'd rather stay here."???

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to wait until night time to read this because I tend to idealize everything at night. The kids are sleeping like angels, and I am free to savor this life, so it's hard for me to imagine a better one. But about 5 minutes into the morning, after being confronted by everyone's sin, especially my own, I realize again, that this is not it. This is not the promised land. This is a promise broken (by us), and I finally long for eternity.
    Thanks for these words Scott. If you become this inspired to write every time you guys have a baby...then please, by all means, keep having children.:)
    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! And the same to you - love your posts as well! I had such a great time with Kevin at GA. Just think, one day, we will no longer feel the pain of being separated by geography. In the New Earth, sure, geography might be in between us...but I'm sure God can and will make a way for it to be overcome rather quickly. Not sure how He will do it - but it's gonna be cool!

    I'll take the advice to keep having children! and the challenge continues!!

    ReplyDelete