Monday, August 30, 2010

How Many Bullets Do You Have in Your Gun?

An old friend (who was not a believer) once told me that he carried around an imaginary gun in his pocket.  Every time his wife did something wrong, particularly against him, he would remain silent, all the while putting a metaphorical "bullet" in his gun for future use.  Then, at some future date, when he did something wrong, he would pull out the gun and shoot her with it - in other words, he would unleash war upon her with a list of all of her previous wrongs.

It's easy to look at this situation and see the major flaws.  This is no way to live in the home.  This is a marriage that will not last unless it is rescued by the power of the Gospel.  But, I would bet that we all have "guns" and we all, at times, like to load them.  What are we to do?  How do we end the miserable cycle?  Well, I am no expert, but I know who is.

Christ is the remedy.  But how?  Sure, it's easy to say that He is, but what does that mean?  Is it realistic to think that a simple fact - that Christ died - can help in the heat of the battle?  I mean, come on!  How does a man dying on a cross, over 2000 years ago, help our situation?  Here is at least one way:

Consider Col 3:3, "For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God."  or, Gal 2:20 where Paul says, "I have been crucified with Christ."

Bullets are instruments of punishment.  When we "shoot" others we are attempting to vindicate ourselves by their punishment.  This is tremendously crafty.  It's very difficult for a sinner on trial to place another (namely, us) on trial.  That's why we let the stored up bullets fly when our faults are exposed.

There is a serious problem with this though.  A person who sins against us cannot possibly pay for the sins they have committed against us.  When we try and vindicate ourselves, we really condemn ourselves.  Why?  B/c we find satisfaction in seeing them pay outside of the Cross.  We shoot and say, "Debt paid."  Well, no.  The debt is not paid!  And if we think that our little bullet is enough, we are selfish and unjust.  We care only that we feel better about the situation and care nothing at all about God's justice being satisfied.

If we truly stored up bullets for the sake of justice, we would take the matter to the highest court and forsake the temptation to settle it in the courtroom of our mind and emotions.  If we were truly concerned with justice, we would let God handle it.  We would let Him prononce the punishment.  We would let Him shoot!

Now, for the gospel.  God has already pronounced and exacted the punishment.  He has already shot His vindicative "bullet."  It is called the Cross of Christ.  And those who place their faith in Christ are so united with Him that His death can be called their death as well.  Amazing.  What does this look like in an argument in the home or among friends?

Billy shoots his bullet at his wife Betty saying, "You did this and that the other day!  You treated me miserably!"  Betty then sets her mind on Christ and understands that Billy's bullets cannot kill her.  Her sins have been punished already.  In reality, Billy is shooting someone who has already died, in Christ.  She says, "Yes, Billy you are right.  I am a sinner and I did do this and that.  I repent.  Will you forgive me?"

Billy, looking surprised, puts his gun down.  It doesn't make since shooting a dead person.  It is unjust to make Betty pay for sins that Christ has already justly paid for.  He repents saying, "Betty, I am sorry for being so crummy.  I am sorry for not seeing you in Christ.  He thinks to himself, "Yes, she sinned against me - but I will take that to the Cross and see her sins punished there."  He then says to his wife, "I have sinned against you and God.  I have tried to settle this matter myself.  Of course I forgive you, but I'm the one that needs forgiveness.  Will you forgive me?"

I know this is easier said than done.  But it must be said first...well, it has already.  The Word is sufficient for us.  Praise God that in Christ we have died and, in Christ, we now live!

No comments:

Post a Comment