Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Continuing to Ring the "Bell"

I admit that I am not a fan of Rob Bell.  Many may say that this is a qualification to being a part of the Reformed camp; or, that I am stuck in my "orthodox-box" and cannot see past my confessional nose.  This may be the case at times, I do confess.  But not now.  Not about this.

Allow me to add that I hate doctrinal disagreement.  Polemics is a cause for weeping rather than smirking.  Simply put, I do not enjoy this discussion concerning Bell.

I am writing to confront those who may say it is wrong to criticize Bell before the book comes out.  Much of this advice is warranted.  And there are many criticisms that should be withheld until the book is read.  But there is occasion here for criticism and pastoral rebuke.  Here are a few of my criticisms:

First, Bell's communication style/agenda, by making no indicative statements (save one at the end), is irresponsible and careless to say the least.  He is communicating words to people.  And he is doing it through a one-way medium that is more prone to miscommunication than others (namely, two-way).  His particular words, in this context, are far from trivial.  Bell is asking questions about eternity - ones that, if answered incorrectly, people may die.  It is one thing to raise questions about the upcoming iPhone; but a very different thing to raise questions about the upcoming Judgment.

I fear that Bell carelessly and irresponsibly confused the art of promotion with the mandate of proclamation.  Bell does not have the same communication liberties as Steve Jobs.

Second, Bell is not feeding sheep in this video, as a pastor should, but tempting them.  These questions provoke spiritual longings.  They raise eternal hungers and thirsts.  At the end of the video, people are left longing.  In short, the people who watch the video (who don't know the Biblical answers) are left with more hunger and thirst than when they came.  I understand book writing and publishing and promoting.  But questions like these must be answered quickly.  A good shepherd seeks to sooth the 'stirring' conscience within minutes; not stir the conscience for months.  March 29th is a long time to wait for the hungry and unsettled.

By the way, I understand the Socratic epistemological way.  Questions do provoke good thought and thus, often times, answers.  I often leave people with thought-provoking questions myself - but never from the pulpit; and certainly never from a video.

Third, in this video (at least) Bell does not speak how he ought.  The Apostle Paul, in his letter to the Colossians says, "At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison, that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak" (4:3-4).  According to many of Bell's advocates, it was Bell's intention, as it is commonly, to remain ambiguous and unclear.  I am not sure Paul would have appreciated the video.

Forth, Bell communicates in way that is less than loving.  If people do not know the answers to these questions - questions that are essential to a proper understanding of Christ, faith, Hell, Heaven, the Cross and redemption - then they ought not be left wandering about the answers.  If people are dying, they need immediate, life-giving, answers.  They need indicatives and imperatives.  It is obvious that the questions that Bell asks can be answered any number of ways.

Make no mistake, the answers have eternal consequences.

I know that it may sound arrogant to say that I know all of the answers to Bell's questions.  However, I would consider myself unfit for ministry if I didn't.  I, personally, can wait until March 29th for the book to come out, to be challenged or whatever.

But I wonder if other people can.  I wonder if the thousands of viewers know the gospel well enough to answer the questions well.  I wonder if some, who do not know Christ, have concluded that they will wait to read the answers when the book comes out on March 29th.

I wonder if they will be afforded life that long.

It would have taken less than ten minutes to answer the eighteen questions (or so) that Bell raised.  Its my pastoral opinion that if Bell loved his audience, he would have given them the answers that could have won them, then - during the same video.

Call me closed minded.  When it comes to the gospel and how (and when) it is presented, I welcome the indictment.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you! Most appreciated response, as one ought to have and expect from a pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    I appreciate your thoughts.

    Here's a link to a great sermon by John Piper - a biography of Tyndale: https://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/biographies/always-singing-one-notea-vernacular-bible.

    One of Tyndale's constant struggles was against Erasmus and his counterparts. Piper describes Erasmus and co. as using word games (being nuanced) when speaking of faith. The problem is, when consequences are eternal, nuances are dangerous! I pray that God will give us the courage to be bold with the gospel, as he did for Tyndale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this whole debate really interesting. When I saw the video, I didn't think Bell was trying to say that he believes hell does not exist or is unoccupied. I think he was saying that what many people are taught about the Christian faith is incorrect or incomplete - namely that you should believe in Christ just so God doesn't send you to hell. This is an incomplete gospel to me.
    I agree that if the goal of this video was to teach, Bell should have explained more a month before the book comes out. But, I think that (right or wrong) the video was meant to sell the book. I understand your point about this, and I don't necessarily agree with Bell's (or his publisher's) approach. But maybe Bell was targeting Christians who want to learn how to talk about hell to unbelievers...would this change anything for you?
    Basically, nothing in the video made me think that Bell is going to stray from the orthodox view of hell. He might challenge the language we use, but based on previous teachings I don't think he will diminish the fact of hell. It sounds to me like he will focus on the loving side - that God so LOVED us that he sent his Son to save us from hell, that whomever believes in Him would know this salvation. Even acknowledging hell as fact, love still wins. I guess we will just have to wait and see when the book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katie. Though I would not agree that Bell is currently orthodox in his view of hell - seeing he believes that hell is inhabited by people for whom Christ died (see Velvet Elvis).

    Thanks again for the comment. I appreciate your concern for all parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, perhaps "orthodox" was the wrong word if it refers to reformed orthodoxy. I meant orthodoxy in a broader sense. He does not ascribe to reformed theology (limited atonement), as was clear in "Velvet Elvis".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,
    I hate to even have this discussion here... but : )

    When I read the blog, it makes me think that you believe having the right answers makes one saved? I know better... but thats how it sounds. You say its not good to leave people hanging you just need to give the dumb sheep (my words not yours) the answers... and I don't see Jesus doing this ALL of the time. He gave answers, but he certainly spent time provoking thought... this has always been the Rabbinical way of which Jesus taught. He answers questions often with... QUESTIONS.

    And the disciples found Jesus sooooo clear, when He goes to the cross many of them left Jerusalem thinking that Jesus wasn't the Messiah after all.

    I understand you want people to have the right answers, as I think answers are important but... I contend spoon feeding them your answers is not always THE answer. Jesus provoked and challenged so people were forced to think for themselves, and I think this is the best way personally. Thinking for myself has made me closer to Christ because as I seek answers, I find HIM... As a result of you thinking for yourself, you believe you are now "orthodox" and I would encourage you to pastor and disciple this way. If you kept taking the spoon from your pastors you would still be a prosperity preacher (sic)... LOL! If people don't know what they believe and WHY (outside of "thats what Pastor Scott says) I'm afraid in the times of trial and suffering they will walk away from Jesus as most of his disciples did. Lucky for them Jesus was resurrected : )

    This is not a total defense of Bell, but I think the style is better served than asking people to be able to regurgitate! I think if the questions and provoking leads people to the bible for the answers and not simply a book, then people WILL find Christ. It worked for me and you, why not let it work for others!
    Peace

    ReplyDelete