Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading C.S. Lewis with Joy and Caution

I, like many people, began my life of Christian reading with Lewis's Mere Christianity.  I remember how my mind was challenged, as I struggled through these deep, but understandable, ideas.  I began to see the world differently, and God more clearly.  I was encouraged with clear, reasonable arguments for my newly found faith.

Soon my shelf was full of Lewis as I spent every extra dime on The Problem of Pain, and Surprised by JoyReflections on the Psalms and others.  I loved Lewis and I still do.  I too was "surprised by joy" as I read this legendary communicator.

There was a time, however, when some things began to concern me.  After I became more reformed in my thinking, I remember reading arguments from Lewis as to why the doctrine of Total Depravity was wrong.  There came a point in time when the arguments from Scripture and other theologians pried my fingers away from ole Clive Staples Lewis.

But then I rested and started thumbing through his writings again.  I remember how he would often begin his books with some statement like, "I am not a theologian and don't pretend to be."  Though I would agree with his comment, there are ways in which he is not giving himself enough credit - but there are also ways in which he is spot on.

I won't go into the ways in which Lewis was off a little bit (even though I already mentioned how I disagree with his view on the depravity of man).  Kevin DeYoung has done that for us in a great post that I'd suggest you read if you are a fan of Lewis (or are becoming one!).

You can read his post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment