Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daddy on the Trinity

I remember when Dr. Derek Thomas, while teaching us Systematic Theology, said something to the effect of, "If you want to know how well you know the doctrine of the Trinity, just wait until your child asks you to explain it."  I remember giving bit of a smirk as we moved on to the next point.  I must say I haven't thought much of Dr. Thomas's comment until today.

This morning, after our daily devotions in The Jesus Storybook Bible, Emma looks at me and says, "Daddy, I don't understand how Jesus is God and how God is God at the same time...can you explain it to me?"  As I looked her in the eyes, I tried to act cool.  I gave a nonchalant grin and a random correction to Jude (who was doing nothing wrong) while my mind raced for an answer.  Of all the questions that I have been asked this year, again, my little girl stumps me.

So, I went where every good PCA minster goes - YES!  Catechism to the rescue!!!  "Emma," I said.  "Yes Daddy?" she replied.  "Are there more Gods than one?" I asked.  She answered, "Uhh...no?"  I said, "That's right Emma.  There is only One God, in three persons!"  Done.  Question answered!  Yeah right.  Catechism not to the rescue.

Her look said it all.  She didn't say a word, but "Huh?" was written all over her face.  I couldn't just leave her there. While my breathing got a bit heavier, I thought, "Okay...keep cool...plan B."

I tried desperately to think of an analogy.  Ah HAH!  I had it!  I asked her, "Emma...How many shoes are in one pair of shoes?"  She said, "Two."  I said, "See?  You can have more than one shoe in one pair of shoes.  Do you get it?"  She nodded side to side.  CRAP!!!!  Ok...think Scott, think!

AH HAH!  How many people are mommy and daddy?  She showed two fingers.  Then I asked, "How many marriages is that?"  She showed two fingers.  DANGIT!!!!!

So, hanging my head a bit, I said, "Its complicated Emma. Just trust me that there is One God in three persons.  Here...eat your pancakes."

While I have to give DT props for teaching a very thorough, informative and God-honoring course, I must say, after going back over that day in my mind, I don't recall his instruction on how to actually explain the Trinity to our kids!  So, I'm passing this one off on my main man Derek Thomas.  If you read this big guy, I'm gonna need a little help.  In the mean time, I'll take a failing grade for the day for being a knucklehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment