Friday, December 17, 2010

Renouncing It All, By the Grace of a Great God

On the fourth day of Christmas, my wife gave to me, four hours to be spent just for me.  This was an answer to prayer.  I love to get away, with no vocational agenda, to just read, think, and write.  Thanks babe.

My hours, as they passed, were filled with an overarching message.  In Luke's gospel, chapter 14, I read slowly and thoughtfully about the Parable of the Wedding Feast, where the focus of the Kingdom is much different than that of the world.  The low are exalted.  The high are made low.

Then I read the Parable of the Great Banquet.  I was overwhelmed with inner questions like, "Am I supposed to take this passage seriously?  Am I really supposed to only invite the "poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind"?  And as I continued, it was as if Christ knew what I'd be thinking.  The answers became clearer.  Those who are not poor, crippled, lame or blind, are more inclined to decline the invitation than to accept it.  Therefore, go to those who will accept it.  The King desires a house that is full, not empty.

I considered ending my devotions there; but I didn't.  I continued to read the next section...The Cost of Discipleship.  Again, Christ knew what I (the reader) would be thinking.  How could I possibly give my resources for the poor, crippled, lame and/or blind?  This life of discipleshwill cost.  It will cost money, time, safety, comfort and security.  

But the items on this list did not concern me as much as something else.  Christ said, "So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple."  I didn't immediately think that I had to sell all of my possessions.  I did, however, know almost instantly, that I had to give up everything I had - that is, everything in my life that gives me purpose, identity, comfort, security, and stability; everything, that is not Christ himself.  Christ is calling me, again, to die.

So I took a break from reading.  I ventured, as many "breakers" do, to Facebook.  My friend Shelby Pearce posted this video (Thank you Shelby).  I watched it.  My break turned into no break at all; but a continuation of Christ speaking to me.  If you have 8 minutes, I would recommend watching.


What this post is NOT, is another Christian getting motivated (at least for a little while) to do world missions.  I'm not getting on a "Let's heal poverty" soapbox.  I'm simply sharing my conviction.  I am attempting to walk in light.  I asked myself after watching this video why it is that I am more indifferent than I ought to be.  The answer, again, according to His faithfulness, was clear.

Inviting the poor, lame, crippled, and blind to the Great Banquet is a great work.  No one denies that.  I surely don't.  But experientially speaking, I have denied it.  Why?  Because, I have been confused (and yes, sinful) about what greatness truly is - or, what a makes a work truly great.  

I am convicted that my definition of greatness has been based solely on myself and what I could do for myself.  I thought in order for a work to be great, a great person had to do it.  The "great ones" are doing great things.  I'm not a great one; therefore, my works are not great.  This was really me thinking to highly of myself.

I also thought that in order for a work to be great, it had to be done for a great person (or great number of people).  If I could not get masses involved or affected by the work - it was not a great work.  If it doesn't become a movement, I don't want to do it.  This, again, was thinking too highly of myself.  I was doing the work for myself.

In reality, however, I have learned today that a great work is a work done by small people, for small people, unto a Great Savior.  In this I understand that I am small.  In this I understand that I am called to reach small people in small numbers - so that, in reaching one small person, if done unto Christ, it is a great work.

My prayers for myself and for my family are as follows.  I pray that I (and those in my family - again, I'm starting small!) would reach one small person with the gospel of my great God's grace.  That I would love a small person by showing them the love of my great Christ.  I am so thankful that Christ, saved me - and today, continues to sanctify me, by showing me how small I really am.  He renounced all that He had to set me free to renounce all that I have.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Scott! I needed to hear that as well.

    ReplyDelete