Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Addendum to the Last Post on Education

Allow me to offer an addendum to my last post.  I understand that many reading this blog send their children to public schools.  This blog is for you as well as those who send their children to Christian schools and those who homeschool.   The post was not aimed at a particular method of education, but toward parents.

My aim was not to condemn those who choose to send their kids to public school; but rather to challenge and bring to light the fact that we, as parents, are the ones who must make sure our covenant children are indeed being educated in the Lord.  Secular education does not exempt the parents of its students from their duty to educate.

Tragically, secular education does not offer this.  I am not prepared to make an argument that one should not therefore send children to public schools.  But I will argue that the parents who do so, must spend a lot of time and energy (as well as every parent!) contextualizing and correcting what they have and have not learned in the public school setting.

I hope this helps.

2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog, and enjoy it very much. This topic is at the forefront of our minds, and there is little on a specific aspect of it, but you actually make my point. I don’t see how you cannot judge public school parents when your reasons for homeschooling are based on biblical principles.

    As a public school parent, I’ve seen the judging that goes on by the (majority) homeschool families in our congregation, and the stereotyping of public schools that goes on in our town. I am made to feel as if I don’t love my children as much as a homeschool parent.

    I agree that we have to be on guard with what is taught, but much of what is taught is still compatible with Scripture. And it has to be constantly tested against the Word, like everything should—even Sunday sermons!

    Personally, I feel bad theology does more harm to Christian children than the schools (under our oversight) ever could.

    I have seen this schism growing in churches and nobody seems to address it. Homeschool families have been on the defensive for so many years, but now that they have such larger numbers, they can harm the culture of the church. Suddenly it’s not just non-chrisitan students they don’t want their kids to associate with, it’s also public school Christians as well.

    This is a difficult issue to address, as it can easily create tension in a room of mixed parents. But church leadership needs to be aware of this a threat to unity, if not managed properly and biblically.

    As a church leader or pastor, if you think it is biblical that your children must be homeschooled then stand by your convictions and require that of your congregants. Otherwise, understand that parents of all education choices have the SAME responsibility to their children. And each form has its advantages and disadvantages in how we raise our kids in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrk,

    I really appreciate your comments. Thanks so much for your insight and considerations. I don't take them lightly and am more than willing to be corrected if it means that the Kingdom can advance with more vigor and effectiveness.

    Thanks again,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete