Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's No Sacrifice at All

I have a growing appreciation for those who can express thoughts, using clear words and simple sentences.  Dorothy Sayers, in her book Letters to a Diminished Churchhas made a wonderful observation; and she has communicated it well.  Its about love and sacrifice.  She writes:

Sacrifice is what it looks like to other people, but to that-which-loves I think it does not appear so.  When one really cares, the self is forgotten, and the sacrifice becomes only a part of the activity.  Ask yourself: if there is something you supremely want to do, do you count as self-sacrifice the difficulties encountered or the other possible activities cast aside?  You do not.  The time when you deliberately say, "I must sacrifice this, that, or the other" is when you do not supremely desire the end in view.  At such times you are doing your duty, and that is admirable, but it is not love.  But as soon as your duty becomes your love the self-sacrifice is taken for granted, and, whatever the world calls it, you call it so no longer.


This has been a good and easy read so far.  Though I do not completely agree with all of her theology, I have found myself challenged, convicted and encouraged by much of what she has to say.  I would recommend this book to anyone looking to grow in their Christian life.



No comments:

Post a Comment