Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What are We Gonna Do?

And so I am sitting beside him trying to guide him through this difficult task. He is nervous, as he knows just as well as I, that time is running short, strength is inadequate, and ability is wholly absent. But it must be done, or December is a distant memory. The end will not be reached.

If helping him meant that I had to carry him, that would be bearable. If it even meant that I needed to liquidate my bank account, I would be willing. My help cannot reach high enough though. My words are just not as effective as they need to be. To tackle this task, we need a miracle.

I wish I could undo what has already been done. Oh how I wish!! Words on this screen cannot even come close to communicating the frustration, agony, despair, and despondency that I feel as I look at this kid stand before his mountain. They require this of him! They say, climb boy! Climb! But then they send him away to train, equipping him little themselves. Oh sure, they help - yeah...help him fail. It's too late man. The foundation has settled. The structure is built. Undoing this will be bloody, dirty, and any other word that we try to avoid in our every day language.

The boy inside of him cannot be reached any more. The man that he has become (on the outside) won't let him. The only way to enter is by war. Otherwise, we stay on the surface - "chipper" as they say, saying, "What up man? What's going on?" These questions are as empty as the governmental solutions that try to answer them. There is something going on. The boy will tell us. The man won't...but by war.

I have been in this situation before. It is one small step at a time. Each step is painful, time-consuming and risky. Each step costs. Arguments are more common from others who just aren't getting the time they used to. I'm sorry. I have locked arms with a crippled boy and I just can't let go. We have a mountain to climb. And we are both ill-prepared.

What is the task? Who is the boy? Well...I can't give all the answers. It is real. It happened just last night (as well as countless times before). He's a senior in high school, trying to pass english. What is the mountain? It's a three page paper. You may giggle and say, "that's no mountain." I know I did.

Fact is, it is more than a mountain. He has come too far and has no way of continuing. There is no going back. The early years are gone. He has a child of his own to care for. He's a good kid. He is trying his best. But this three page paper is going to chew him up and spit him out. Honestly, if he passes, it will be indicative of the absolute failure of the school system. Simply put, he needs more education.

I see past the scheme. They aren't just not teaching and educating. They are crippling. The church must rise with the gospel! I am reminded of the thousands of missionaries who labored among people groups who could not read and write. Their first objective was to educate them to read and write. Why?

A high school senior who cannot write a three page paper and who does not understand the meaning of basic words like "poverty" or "evaluate" cannot read and understand Scripture. This is the ultimate tragedy. Therefore, their mountain is ours too. We MUST "bear the burden." We must help. But be careful, we might get cut.

I feel like an ant trying to move a MAC truck, but by faith, I trust that my weakness is what is best in this scenario. Strength is found in Christ alone. And this is our creed. This is our only help. I have never felt so small. I rarely want to give up. Sometimes, I look up and cannot see the top; and I cry. Yeah, I said it. It makes me not care about embarrassment.

He's gonna call today; and I am sure that the paper is not gonna be done. It's due today. Tomorrow he gets a B (at best). And Friday, a C (at best). What are we gonna do? Honestly, I have no idea. We can't give up. One life is worth it. One life is worth it. One life is worth it. One more step. One more step. Lord have mercy on us all...

Oh how I long for heaven...

1 comment:

  1. I'm encouraged to see you laboring with this young dad and bearing his burderns with him. What a light. Praying God will grant him the ability to construct a 3 page paper.

    ReplyDelete