Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Where Obedience Takes You

I remember reading The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer some years ago and reading his pastoral thoughts about the relationship between faith and obedience. He talked about how he would advise parishioners with weak faith to practice obedience. And, if a parishioner did not show signs of obedience, he'd encourage and/or confront them about their faith.

His words did not affect me very much then. But they are whispering to me daily now. As I try to move forward in obedience to Christ, I am finding that my faith is strengthened more and more. I am also being shown where a lack of obedience ultimately leads to a lack of faith.

I am not saying that our obedience somehow merits faith or produces it; but that it strengthens and encourages it. Just as a man without food withers away, so does a Christian's faith without obedience. Jesus' words are unavoidable here: "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work" (Jn 4:34).

Obedience to Christ often leads us down dark and dangerous roads. The stress, fear, and uncertainties involved in this life force one to reach for something or someone other than one's self. Our ears engage. Our eyes begin adjusting. Our hears begin searching. We are not equipped for this. We need someone to change us.

I remember while in Cameroon noticing how they didn't place a huge priority on illuminating their rooms after the sun went down. You may find one small bulb in the corner of a huge dark room. In the States, we would have put six or seven lights in the same room. In our prosperity, we have come to hate the dark. Consequently, we have forgotten how to cling to light.

The Lord, however, is gracious to turn our lights out every now and then. If we will not obey, he mercifully short circuits our electrical system. Our lights begin to flicker, and we come to attention. He causes the system to fail, and we make a mad dash for light.

And this is my life right now. My lights are flickering. My systems are failing. But I can feel my eyes adjusting, my ears are aware of the slightest divine whispers, and my heart reaching and clinging to the Light. I feel like a little kid who has followed his father's instructions to walk into a dark room. In my fear, I run back to the door only to find it locked. So, I wait. I listen. And, I cling to the words that he promised - that he would always be with me.

This life is scary, but simple. I need only follow his command. There is, after all, no other way than to trust and obey.


1 comment:

  1. I'm reading Bonhoeffer's Discipleship for my Honors Lit class. It's cool that you're talking about it too.

    ReplyDelete