Thursday, August 9, 2012

Will Our Grandchildren Be Rich?

With the steady decline of the moral state of America, and with the increasing weight of debt our nation seems to be accumulating, it doesn't take a genius to reasonably postulate that the sun may be setting on the American international enterprise. The camel's back is bending. Any number of straws are ready to add the final breaking blow.

Jesus spoke of how a person should be able to interpret the times. So, I don't think the previous paragraph to be completely uncalled for. Sure, there are some fanatics out there with an artillery in their basement next to their ten-year supply of canned goods. These folks are looking for a national conspiracy under every political rock. I'm not one of those guys, and this post is not the revealing of some proposed conspiracy.

Being a father of four, it is difficult to hear the older generation say things like, "I don't necessarily fear what will happen during our lifetime. It's your grandchildren that I fear for," and not take at least some of what they mean seriously. It is difficult to keep from building strategies to prepare my children now for what they will face when they have children of their own.

Wisdom should remind us of the difficulty of this task. The strategies that will carry a person through difficult times are not superficial "how-to's" but ideological movements of being.

In other words, we ought not be so worried about what our children and grandchildren will do during their lifetime, but what they will be. Should they lose the luxuries of our everyday life, will they be blessed? Should Christian activities be prohibited by law, will they be Christian? Should poverty come upon them, will they be rich? And should they lose their lives, will they be saved?

I don't really know if I am fanatical or not. But I am a bit overwhelmed by the task, not only to actively teach my children what to do (practical steps are necessary in life), but also (and more importantly) to passively teach them how to be. I fear I am failing this task miserably.

And then I am reminded and encouraged of the gospel of grace. Not that it removes my obligations, but that it fulfills them in Christ. It is the gospel that reminds me that should every national sun set, Christ is supremely sufficient to shine through. I may not be there to teach my grandchildren about treasures in heaven. And I may not be there to supply and support with Christian values.

But Christ will. He is more significant than I. He is more powerful than I. And he is closer to my children than I will ever be. I hope and trust that he will use this sinner, along with many other means, to prepare our children for what lies ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment