Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Crafty Twist of God's Commands: A Case In Point

I wrote a post a few days ago discussing how we often beat each other over the head with the Bible. We use the Word of God as a cover up for our own selfish ends. People should love and care for other people. This is what the Bible says, right? We then make it our goal to ensure that people follow such a command for us.

We typically get all bent out of shape when others are disobedient - not because it offends God, but because it inconveniences us.

I love watching and learning from children. My kids often provide me with the undignified expressions of practical theology. They are image bearers that haven't learned how to cover themselves well. From them we can learn important truths concerning prayer (ask often and persistently!), dependency, disobedience, and trust.

We can also see in children twist that we place on God's commands mentioned above. We have a common rule in our home about sharing. If your brother or sister (or anyone) would like to play with the toy you have, sharing is not optional. You must share.

The other day, my little boy was eyeing the toy my littlest girl just picked up. He wanted it and asked her for it. Now, she is not even two yet and hasn't really grasped the rule. But my boy didn't care. He quickly said, "You have to share with me. Daddy says so!" After she didn't give over the toy, he ran to me and said, "Daddy, Camille won't share her toy with me. Will you tell her to give it to me?"

Interesting. Sin is so crafty. The command that my boy was calling into play was not actually in full accordance with the house rule. The command is "YOU must share," not "THEY must share." There is a huge difference.

When our heart's desire is that God would enforce his commands upon others for our benefit, we should really consider repenting of such desires. They do not deserve to be answered with a reward, but with the rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment