Friday, February 4, 2011

Thoughts on the Flu

I just had to give myself a pep-talk to get from the shower to the bed.  When I bent over to dry off my toes, my eyeballs felt as if they were going to fall out of my head.  And when I came up from drying my big feet, I almost took a not-so-graceful fall.

Simply put, I think I have the flu.  I have been this way since early Thursday morning.

Needless to say, I haven't felt much like writing anything.  I read a bit today (Oliphint's Reasons for Faith).    I am a bit nervous for the wife and I are scheduled to go to a church-planter's assessment most of next week.  Please pray that I will get better.  While you're praying ;) I'd like to share some thoughts on the flu - or, thoughts that I've never had because I didn't have the flu.

1.  My wife makes the best chicken-noodle soup.  And she did it from scratch!  I must admit when she said she was making me some CNS that I was a bit disappointed - I really like Campbell's.  But my girl blew them folks out-tha-park!  As my buddy Trelle always says, "Katie put her foot in dat!"

2.  I miss my family and friends.  I used to long for time alone (and still do b/c I am technically an introvert); but I tell ya, sitting in bed all day is about as boring as hunting for any four-legged animal.  I want to hug on my wife and kids.  And ohhhhh how I miss my friends at Starbucks...and the beverage they serve me day in and day out!

3.  I did, for a short time, reflect on how wonderful medicine is.  That there are probably billions of people who do not have the ability to make a headache go away within a 45-minute period.  I prayed that I would live more gratefully and with a greater heart for those who live in poverty.

4.  I thought about how much I hate sin and death.  Flu only exists in a fallen world.  Come Lord Jesus!

5.  Finally, to those who call and text me during this time.  I love you...but don't be calling me or texting me with jokes that make me laugh - it makes my eyeballs hurt like crazy!" and if I don't call or text back, its because I am simply out of order.

I guess that's about it.  I am hoping to be up and about by Sunday.  I am so grateful for my wife, who has been slaving to keep the house and kids in order.  She did get a bit pissed when Jude kicked her today.  I haven't told him yet, "Now son, your mamma will whoop your you-know-what if you ever kick her..."  He learned the hard way.  Over all, all is well.  I am alive, and I have a great family and lots of great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment