Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert

I just finished Greg Gilbert's book, What is the Gospel? I am learning that small books like this that give a simple gospel presentation are very refreshing, informative, and useful. In these few months of ministry, I have been deeply convicted at my lack of simplicity when presenting the gospel. I used to criticize sermons that were simple and short; but now I admire them. Simplicity, when the gospel is presented, is an occasion for praise not criticism. Following this thought, I have also found that those who communicate with many complex words lack mastery of their subject. In short, simplicity is often indicative of mastery.

That's what we have here in this book. I won't go into great detail - but I will give a quick run down. It is worth the money! I actually bought it along with another book (You Can Change by Chester) on Westminster Books for about 15 bucks.

Gilbert's "gospel presentation" can be summed up in four words: God, Man, Jesus, and Response. God is the righteous Creator. He is our Creator and has every right to lay claim upon our lives and actions.

Man has rebelled against Him. Man's sin now separates us from God. The predicament is a predicament of our own making. WE have sinned against Him.

Jesus Christ is the only Savior. He is the Suffering King. Gilbert does a masterful job explaining penal substitution and how this is the center of the gospel. He also gives many reasons why we tend to push the Cross to the side - in both presenting and living the gospel.

Man's proper response then is faith and repentance. By faith, we become united to Christ. By faith, we are relying on Christ to secure for us a righteous verdict from God the Judge, rather than a guilty one. And by repenting, we forsake our former life of rebellion.

The Kingdom of God. Gilbert does not leave the Christian life without the promise of great reward! This was my favorite part of the book. He does a wonderful job explaining and "talking up heaven - glory!" We have a living hope that we long for. It is not one long church service, but a new heavens and a new earth, without sin, without sickness, without death! It's gonna be "bangin!" You like that word huh? That one's mine - not Gilberts:)

Well - that's my review. I strongly recommend reading it. It will probably take the average reader a couple of sittings to complete (125 small pages).

No comments:

Post a Comment