Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mastery and Beauty in Simplicity

As I have been wading in the waters of philosophy over the past few years, I have been overwhelmed by the endless efforts of hundreds of men, over the centuries to explain, understand, and live out the central idea of truth. We can categorize their questions rather easily. They go something like this: 1) What is it truth (metaphysics)? 2) How do we know truth (epistemology)? And, 3) How 'ought' we to respond to truth (ethics)? From Aristotle to Rob Bell, the questions, more or less, remain the same. The answers however, are very different.

In all of this mess, I have found great refuge in the Scriptures. I have been guilty of assuming that this one small volume (the Bible) has little to say about such matters. Sure, it talks about truth - Yes, It is the TRUTH. I guess what I mean is that I have been guilty of thinking that many volumes equals better information. Or, that more volumes are necessary to understand philosophy better. I was wrong. As I get older, I am finding more and more, that mastery is often best indicated by simplicity.

Sure, one may be interested in Descartes' philosophical method. He/she may be intrigued by his process for attaining mathematical certainty. But make no mistake, that's a hard read - one that will require a bit more discipline than the mind can willingly handle. The waters soon muddy up. Questions arise from the left and right. At times, I find myself wanting to crawl under my desk and suck my thumb for a while (ok, not really, but you get the point).

But then, after reading for a time, and after dealing with the vast amounts of frustration, I look over and see my Bible. It is brown with golden pages. Some are more worn than others. Some verses have been underlined - and some have not. What a marvelous book! And then I open it to Acts 2:36 and read, "Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified." And then I am totally taken back when I read Christ's words, "I am the way, the truth, and the life...(Jn 14:6). Mathematics does not give me this kind of certainty. Mathematical certainty is rather contingent upon this truth!

What is truth? I could read volumes and volumes and never come to a conclusion! But I read just a few pages in my devotions and find out, with certainty, that truth is a person. It is not some random idea in the cosmos. He lives! Truth is personal.

How do we know it? The hunger inside of me is now only satisfied in one source. So I turn the pages. Its almost too easy. "For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding" (2:6). What in the world! You mean to tell me that the Bible teaches me about epistemology?! Absolutely.

And the apostle Paul writes about how be became a minister according to the stewardship from God..."to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints...which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Col 1:26, 2:3). Truth is a gift. We know it not because of intellect or reason; but solely because of mercy. How great is our Lord. We know Him b/c He desires to be, and makes Himself known to us.

How 'ought' we to live or respond? Simply scroll down a few verses. The apostle lovingly and simply tells his audience, "therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him (or, I translate, "so continue to live in Him"). How is that? By faith and repentance. Amazing.

So here we have philosophy at its best. The Bible. It is gentle enough to comfort us in our distress and weakness. It is also, stronger and wiser than any volume known to man. This one single Book shows its mastery in simplicity. It says to us, "Look no further. I am here." I have noticed that many unbelievers read and read and search and search. I have started asking them what exactly they are looking for. What is it that will finally sooth their conscience? What piece of information will bring resolve to all of their questions? They can give no answer. Oh how they need Christ! For we know that this seemingly "lack of knowledge" is also called rebellion. Oh that they - Oh that WE, would lay down our arms and submit to the simplicity and beauty of the Word of God.

I thank God for faith. He doesn't leave us to our reason to attain Him. Rather, He gives us the instrument that receives, with certainty, the Mystery revealed - CHRIST the LORD. Now our reason has the proper foundation to understand the world around us. And faith is such that it never lets go. It white-knuckles Christ until the end - saying, "I will never let you go. I will never let you go! I will never let you go!" And our merciful God says, "Yes, I know. My grace is sufficient for you."

Its okay to read all that philosophy stuff (whether it be Kant, Newsweek, or the Health Care Plan). My encouragement to you today is that when it all gets overwhelming; when it causes you to despair - go to the Word of God and find Truth there. Christ alone is sufficient for us. That is our anthem. That is our song. Christ alone forever - He is our rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment