Friday, February 10, 2012

Dr. Knox Chamblin (1936-2012)

I will never forget the first day of Johannine Literature when Dr. Chamblin trembled and wept as he began to teach on the Word of God, Jesus Christ.  The moment was sobering as well as sacred.  That semester I was so blessed by his teaching - that was rigorous, but most helpful in getting us to see Christ in the primary source.  He was relentless in his desire for his students to wrestle with God and to find refuge in his Word.

But he was also a gracious man.  He not only studied the Word of God, but he studied his class role before every class so that he could know his students.  He ended every class with an invitation to join him for lunch.

I was convinced that he loved me, with a Christ-centered and enabled love.  He always answered my questions.  And if he could not answer then, he would tell me so.  Days even weeks later, I would receive an email or a note with either an answer or direction towards an answer.  I was overwhelmed by his humility and his simplicity.

After emailing him about a biblical question, some year and a half after taking his course, Dr. Chamblin wrote this:

Scott, It was good to hear from you. I have fond memories of our study together during the fall of 2008, pondering the depths of the Fourth Gospel...May our faithful God enlighten and empower you by his Holy Spirit for the work of this term - including your study of the Gospels and Acts.   Yours in Christ, Knox


Dr. Knox Chamblin was brilliant, yet modest; simple, yet obviously desired to use his deep knowledge for the glory of his Lord - the Lord that he now sees clearly.  I eagerly await the day when I will be able to see this man again in glory.  


Dr. Knox Chamblin (1936-2012)

1 comment:

  1. His loss for us here at RTS is deep and profound. We will miss him very much!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete