Monday, November 28, 2011

In Case You Didn't Know...We're Moving!

Trinity Gardens is a small community of a little over 3,000 people, located just south of Prichard, AL. I often tell people that it serves as a patch that joins Prichard and Mobile together. It is a predominately African-american community with a median household income of less than $20,000/year. People take pride in the fact that they are from Trinity Gardens, and thus it has its own culture, its own contributions, as well as its own areas of difficulty, challenge and hardship.

Charlene Campbell has been going to the neighborhood for some ten years.  She visits the community center, offers a bible study and a snack to the kids who attended.  Her motive has always been very simple - to share the love of God that she has found in Jesus Christ.  Over the years it is obvious that Charlene loves the community.  But it is also very obvious that Charlene is loved by the community.

After meeting her two years ago, she invited me to visit with her.  I accepted the invitation.  My life hasn't been the same since. Not only did my family and I immediately fall in love with the neighborhood, we felt completely loved by the people there as well.  After two years of working in and with the community, we are tired of driving home. We are moving to Trinity Gardens.

You might be asking "Why?" Or, "What do you plan to do there?" Well, I cannot fully answer those questions right now, but I can share with you some of what the Lord has shown us up to this point. After Mission to North America affirmed our calling to church plant back in February of 2011, my wife and I, along with the session of Grace Community Church, began to pray about a location. As we did, it became clear that our relationships with those in Trinity Gardens could not be overlooked. Not only did my wife and I feel a strong call to the neighborhood, other leaders and co-laborers affirmed the call as well.

So the answer to these questions is rather simple. We are going for two reasons: first, because the Lord is calling us there; and second, because the Lord has shown us his love through the people there. While there are probably a thousand things we could do in the community, I strongly believe that our primary calling is very simple. People already know me as Pastor Scott. I want to be just that - a pastor who lives among the people. I am sure that particular ministries will take shape over time, but for the first year at least, my family and I want to get to know the community better, serve where we can, and live among those the Lord has called us to love.

We have already purchased property in the neighborhood and plan on moving August of 2012.  Please pray for us as we plan and build support for our move!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Scott, sounds like God to me too! Keep us in the flow of information and preparation as well!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your obedience/commitment is truly inspiring, Roobish...Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna cry. God is too cool! Thank you for being obedient to the call.

    ReplyDelete