Monday, August 20, 2012

God is Not into Microwaves

Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick is one of those books that works its way into the deep fabric of a person's being. In the book Fitzpatrick helps us to understand the deep longings of our heart, and how those longings help or hinder our relationship with God. Here is a snippet I thought especially encouraging:

"I love the convenience of the microwave, don't you? Just pop the casserole in and, presto, instant dinner. Life is better in our house since the invention of the microwave...I enjoy all of our modern conveniences, don't you? But, in the middle of this instant, Give it to me quickly! It better be convenient! culture, we tend to think that God should work in our lives in the same way. Just zap me and make me holy- and quickly, Lord, if you don't mind.

God's work in us is sometimes slow moving. Although it's true that all Christians know some change (even if it's minuscule), God's work, our sanctification, is a process. This process involves learning (what I hope you'll do here), growing, falling, changing, becoming convinced again of the truth, and developing holiness over our lifetimes. With that in mind, don't expect that this book will make you instantly holy. Only God through His Holy Spirit can make you holy, and He's not going to operate according to our hurried lifestyle."

Passages like this help me through the process of sanctification. They help me deal with the irony of being a sinful Christian. It is this understanding of life that supports me as I struggle with significant sins in my own life. I am thankful for people who write books like this. They are a true asset to the Kingdom as they help us manage our redemptive expectations. They help shape our eschatological worldview. And they help deepen our Christian faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment