Friday, November 12, 2010

My Top 10 Favorite Books - #10 (Free Book!!!)

Over the past few months, I have had a few people ask me for a "Top 10 List" of my favorite books.  After thinking about it, this has been a pretty difficult task for a few reasons.  First, I like so many books.  It's like asking me which kid I love the most - or, which book of the Bible I love the most.  No ten books shine on my shelves.

Second, my reading habits are weird.  Presently, I am reading about 10 books!  They are all over my desk, on my Kindle (which I love!), and in my backpack (yes, I carry a backpack:).  When I get some time, I pick the one that I feel like reading.  I don't really have a disciplined system.  I wish I did; but I think seminary ruined that for a while!

Third, when I think I have finally found a "top pick", I will read another book and fall in love with another.  There is a lot of really good stuff out there to read.  I have been fortunate enough to tap into a well of great resources and authors.  So, my top ten could easily be my top fifty.

Finally, I don't read books that a lot of people like to read.  For example, I hate reading fiction.  I'm not even a fan of Lord of the Rings.  I know, I know.  Shoot me now!  I had plenty of classmates in seminary that blasted me for being about as exciting as the cardboard box over there from Westminster book store.  All of this to say, that even if I like these ten books, you may not find them interesting at all.  However, I am convinced that they are well worth the read. 

Now for  #10 already.  Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity is masterfully written, doctrinally rich and very enjoyable.  This book wet my appetite for the puritans.  It was Charles Spurgeon's favorite book; which comes as no surprise; you can hardly read Spurgeon without being overwhelmed by Watson-like word pictures, illustrations and analogies. 

This book is a compilation of Watson's sermons as he preached through the shorter catechism.  Each chapter addresses a particular point of doctrine and can easily be completed in a 20-30 min sitting.  His writing is rather easy for a puritan, though some may have to get a bit acclimated to the style.  Every chapter is also filled with practical applications for living a simple, godly life.

My favorite characteristic about this book, and Watson in general, is his word pictures and analogies.  He says of God's mercy, "The bee gives honey naturally, but only stings when provoked."  This just makes me all happy inside.

Perhaps my favorite quote is this one on God's glory:  "God's glory is more worth than heaven, and more worth the salvation of all men's souls.  Better kingdoms be throne down, better men and angels be annihilated, than God should lose one jewel of His crown, one beam of His glory."

There you have it.  Number 10.  I have decided that I will post the next favorite book on my list every two weeks.  I will also be giving a copy of the book away!  All you have to do is leave a comment (any comment) OR send me an email (smoore1517@gmail.com) to enter your name in the drawing.  And just so you know, the last drawing had 12 names - so your chances should be pretty good!  I will be drawing for this book next Friday (11/19/10).  Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one that reads multiple books at one time! :) Sounds like a book I need to add to my collection. THanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started this last night, and ended up reading about 70 pages. I was hooked after the first question.

    ReplyDelete