Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Reformed African American Network (Check it Out!!)

Too often it is said that Christianity is the white man's religion. Those who believe in Christ, they say, are intolerant, dogmatic, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, white guys who live to impose their religious beliefs on the rest of the world. This may be hyperbolic language, but it is not unjustified. I have heard it with my own ears.

Of course, the statement is not completely true. From the beginning, Christianity has been a religion for the nations. And even when it was "just for the Jews", it was really for the world, through the Jews.

But I must confess. While I may reject the indictment that Christianity is the white man's religion, there are significant parts of my life that invite it. I may say that Christianity is for all peoples and has been lived out and promoted by all peoples, but I have not embraced this truth in many significant parts of my Christian education and practice.

I don't believe I am alone. For some time, middle-upper class white evangelicals have believed that they are the only significant, right, articulators of theology - especially Reformed Theology. And like I said before, I don't believe any one of us would say this, but we do believe it.

Take a look at your book shelf or blogroll. What percentage are white (or, Anglo) authors? What percentage are African-American, Mexican, Latin American, African, or Asian? I haven't conducted a survey, but I'd be willing to bet, from the libraries I have seen (even my own!), that the majority of our theological learning comes from the white community.

I don't believe that this is malicious in nature or overtly racial. White authors, because of many factors (good and bad), have probably published and produced more material. But is this a good excuse? Shouldn't we be seeking out different cultural perspectives on theology? Shouldn't we be promoting and subsidizing multicultural theological expressions? Do we not see the cultural one-sidedness of our own theological framework?

Without the significant theological insights from multicultural communities, can we really say we are Reformed? Don't we realize that Reformed Theology is not just written doctrinal truths, but also the existential expressions of those doctrines in every culture and among all people groups under heaven?

If you are looking at your bookshelf and blogroll, and notice an absence of multicultural influence, there is no need to despair. I have good news for you today. I'd like to introduce you to RAAN.

The Reformed African American Network (RAAN) is a great organization that seeks to faithfully share and express Reformed Theology from an African American perspective. It's purpose is to "fuel the modern reformation in the African American community and the multi-ethnic nation beyond."

RAAN is a great resource for all peoples. It allows us to gain tremendous theological insights from the African American perspective. In short, I believe RAAN will add much needed color to our modern Reformed tradition.

Below is a video from the founders of RAAN explaining what the organization is all about. I hope you will make this network a part of your regular theological diet. I pray that it would be a significant means by which the Lord's church "continually reforms."



No comments:

Post a Comment