Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Burn the Books: Knowing Does Not Mean Loving

The first commandment is profound in that it places love as the chief action of an image bearer's piety. Paul says it well too, a person may have just about all spiritual gifts, but if he does not have love he is essentially noise to everyone's ears. This is a relevant message to all times - especially to the "Greeks" of the culture who tend to elevate knowledge above love.

Looking back I am both amazed and convicted by the tireless efforts and endless resources I have spent in order to gain knowledge. I am not sure that I have spent a fraction of these efforts and resources to gain love. I understand that the two are related. Knowledge helps us to love. But knowledge also helps to puff up (1Cor 8:1).

The reasons why we focus on knowledge less than love are many. I would argue, however, the primary reason is that we have more control over knowledge. There is a direct correlation between effort and knowledge gained. We can read a book to increase understanding - love is a bit more complex. We may actively succeed in gaining an understanding of how we ought to love, but we are not in control of actually loving that way. Knowing and desiring are two very different things.

I need little help to know, I need supernatural help to love. To know I need solitude, time and a book. To love I need repentance, faith, and humility. To merely know, I need only me. To follow the greatest commandments to love, I need only Christ.

Because we have subordinated love to knowledge, we are misleading and being mislead. As James Smith proposes in his book Desiring the Kingdom, on the heals of the Enlightenment we have adopted rationalism and wrapped it in Christian clothes. Those who know are accepted as members of our seminaries and churches, while those who love...well, we need to make sure they know more.

Books just aren't changing my heart. I think part of my exhaustion is due to my unwillingness to accept my own premise. The fact that I must rest and surrender immediately confronts my faithlessness - my lack of trust that Jesus can and will actually change me. I have have trusted books far too long. And while the knowledge I have gained may be orthodox and good, it is not what will ultimately save.

Knowledge is good and necessary, but only in its right redemptive place. The commandment is clear to love with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength. Love is always primary. I must loose my hands from this golden cow and trust Christ alone. My love for self has thrown me into an occupation of mass learning. I pray that my love for Christ will throw me into an eternity of mass loving.




No comments:

Post a Comment