Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Resurrecting Easter - An Introduction (Part 1 of 5)

Adam Viramontes is one of my best friends.  During seminary, I learned more from this individual than a few dozen books that I read.   Adam - that is, Reverend Viramontes (please roll the "r" to pronounce that correctly) - is currently the Assistant Pastor of Hill Country Church in Kileen, TX.  He and his wife Heather have one son Jadon.  I consider it an honor to know this guy and his family.

After years of trying to get him to write for this blog, my prayers have finally been answered!  While I take this week off from writing, Adam has graciously offered to fill in.  Over the next four days, he will be walking us through a series on Easter.  I can't wait.

Here is a small introduction from the good reverend himself:

Easter Sunday is a popular day for church attendane and often brings an influx of individuals who would otherwise rarely cross the threshold of a church building.  Why is this the case?  If Easter is, for you, the same commercialized one it was for me growing up -- plastic eggs filled with coins and candy that only comes in second place to Halloween, and a jazzy new pair of Levi's -- then what is all the hoopla about?

Over the next few days, I will write a brief, yet hopefully refreshing outlook on Easter and why that weekend over 2,000 years ago shaped the course of human history.  I will also give some insight into the events that took place from Thursday through Sunday - events that give us a greater understanding of Sacrament, Sacrifice, Sabbath, and Supremacy.

It is our prayer that these posts will serve to inform, encourage, and edify the body of Christ as we reflect upon His life, death, burial and resurrection!

No comments:

Post a Comment